Monday, September 20, 2010

My Take and Origin stories on Torrg

Torrg is my main toon, he was the first Horde character I created and the one I came the most attached to. I would absolutely LOVE to meet him IRL if I could. He's most like how I picture myself as a grown... matured adult. He doesn't necessarily see life through the eyes of a child like I tend to, but he has a mellowed "come as it comes" kind of nature. He's also extremely hard headed.

In his origin story Coming of a Shaman I expressed a note he was once interested in being a warrior. When I first created Torrg, it was on the server Antonidas and I created him as a Warrior. But my roommate Syrrh had created a character on the newly released Moon Guard server, so I swapped over to it. Due to my attraction to the lore and the look, I decided to roll him as a Shaman instead. The leveling was long for me, I've always been a pretty casual player, though lately my play times have increased, it took me forEVER to get him up to 70. I'd started at the tail end of Vanilla, only a few months before Burning Crusade came out, so I didn't level cap at 60... I was maybe.... 40 when Burning Crusade started. I got a great deal of experience in Vanilla, however and really got into the game through the difficulty levels I found running into areas like Ashenvale or Feralas about 10 levels lower than I should have been... newbie mistakes. Torrg was my first character to level cap and he always will be I think.

From an RP Perspective I didn't really get heavy into playing him as a persona right off, I still consider him more of a separate being than myself, but I enjoy writing stories with him in it. He's the central character of my little world, a bit of an emotional anchor, a grounded spirit to the personalities around him. Torrg is strong, defiant but smart. He's more compassionate than most orcs, but has a tenancy to be cold sometimes. Specialization wise I love so many aspects of both Elemental and Enhancement that I kind of blurred the lines, giving him mostly Elemental power, but with various attributes Enhancement shaman follow with, his spirit wolves Scratch and Storm, as well as a strong melee capability. Torrg doesn't know when to quit, he's the kind of person that is stubborn enough to continue to fight even if he's been beaten down, even if it means certain death. He's also a very sensitive and empathetic character, having had his heart broken by losing his first partner.

I'd always been really big on Tauren, I've always loved their mythology, their spirituality, I integrated Torrg into their world by pairing him with a tauren druid named Thorne Wildmane. I'm thinking back to my stories I keep crossing Wildmane and Wildhoof but I think Wildmane would probably be the best way to go. Thorne's story was brief and tragic, he and Torrg moved to Mulgore where they spent many years together until his homophobic and shamed father Krum killed Thorne with a fire to his home. Torrg eventually sought and reclaimed his vengeance, but the experience left an open wound in Torrg's heart. Making him find it difficult to find love for some time after. "Trial and Torrgulations" was a very long story I made that helped him confront and try to move on with the present and he eventually found some closure after finding Thorne's long lost sister Nuada. Afterward "Emissaries" was written where Torrg found a new love interest in a Worgen named Growl. He'd had feelings for the opposing faction previously, but he never acted on it until Growl. I wanted to create someone for Torrg that... was a bit of an outcast himself. Growl, who never really grasped becoming human again rejected the notion. Preferring to stay as feral as possible even though he is a Balance specced Druid. I thought this might cause a surge of conflict, branding Growl as much as even a traitor to his kind, I expanded on that by having his mother plead with Torrg to grant her son asylum with the Horde, that way finding peace. After a short stay in Orgrimmar, Thrall and the others granted it with certain restrictions and the pair moved back to Mulgore. Afterward, I began to dwell on the past, feeling stirrings that I didn't give Thorne much of a proper story and wrote a sexy adult tale called "Thorne's First Love" where he met a tauren Hunter named Hawksfeather and the pair spent their time together.

After all this, I began to ponder about ideas how this union between a Tauren-esque orc and a worgen would eventually end up, and I created a tale of resurrection and time travel in "Dead Things" where their pairing could possibly affect an outcome of a future war with an alien civilization, leading to not only the possibility of the factions joining forces to face the threat, but also the possibility that they adopt a son who becomes a powerful leader in the new world. Though it still leaves things open that those future events will happen, that the pair may die defending the world from the initial threat, there is no clues either way how it would turn out. Most recently, I decided to expand on Torrg and Thorne's story again by bringing Thorne back as a Death Knight, being somewhat emotionally detatched from the world in this time frame he had been dead for seven years, and Growl and Torrg had been together for one so far. Making Torrg 48 or 49 years old and Growl around 25 or 26.

I'm not sure where Torrg Rockmaul is going in the future, but I really have to hand it to him, making this world a true visual spectacle to me. He will always be my main, my first. And with Cataclysm due out soon, perhaps I'll have room to create a Growl as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment